Skip to main content

Downer Avenue comes to an end at the Lake. You think you can see Michigan in the distance, but you really can’t. It’s that big. Makes Lake Harriet look like a puddle. But it smells like dead fish on the beach, which is why I took this photo from on top of the bluff.

Continuing along the bike trail along the lake, we hit downtown. For you arts people, this building is the art museum. Which building, you ask? The ugly one or the pretty one? Both, actually. They stuck a graceful, award-winning building onto the side of that brown monstrosity. Like transplanting a swan’s head onto a trout. I guess the front view’s not so bad, but the view from the lake is just a wall of brown.

Now downtown, we find ourselves at one of the city’s hottest after-work happy hours- Flannery’s, named after my cousin. If my uncle hadn’t admitted his drug habit and gone into rehab, he’d still own it. Of course, he probably would have spent all the profits on drugs and overdose, so I guess it’s better this way. Flannery still eats for free there.

Our last stop downtown is the Pabst Theatre, where Mason Jennings played the other day. This is also where we put on my high school musicals. Yeah, you heard that right. This is where I got to do my high school musicals. I guess there was an upside to not having an auditorium.

I looked in vain for a Tyme machine, but apparently, they’ve all been replaced by regular ATMs. I also did not take photos of Anodyne, Caribou Coffee, Nomad World Pub, or beer, because this is a tour of what makes Milwaukee different from Minneapolis. Last, but not least, this is the page from the Summerfest schedule showing Andrew Bird, Wilco, Flogging Molly, and Mike Doughty all playing on the same night, practically for free.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Busy signal...

Today I joined not one, but two social networking sites-- Pownce and Ravelry . I'm geeking out, even though I'm on dial-up, and am probably going to end up spending the entire weekend adding my knitting projects to Ravelry. Oh, I didn't mention is was a knitting network? Yeah, I meant it when I said I was geeking out. But not before I finish Harry Potter...

Foodies vs. Libertarians, Round Two

Round One wasn't really a fight, but whatever. Caught your attention, right? Elyzabethe posted about Montgomery County's trans fat ban, which inspired my post last week on the Guerrilla Nutrition Labels, which inspired her response . Well, over on my new favorite website, Culinate, there is a review of a --I guess you could call it a debate--between food and agriculture writer Michael Pollen, and Whole Foods CEO John Mackey. Apparently, Mackey impressed the Berkeley crowd with his commitment to reforming the food system. I have no doubt he's genuine, either, but this article points out some of the facts he left out of his (seriously) PowerPoint presentation. What got me especially (no surprise to anyone who heard me ramble on about Spinach and e.coli last semester) was his classification of Earthbound Farm as a group of small organic farms banding together under one brand name, allowing him to say that 78% of Whole Foods produce comes from small farms. I call bull

Food is...

It will come as no surprise that my first post here in forever is about food. I ran across this at the Ethicurian . The Accidental Hedonist outlines her food beliefs , which match up pretty closely with my own: 1. Food is Life - This is pretty straightforward. You need to eat to live. 2. Food is Cultural - What you eat represents who you are as well as the environment in which you inhabit. 3. Food is Class - What you eat is defined by the allotment of resources available to you. 4. Food is Politics - The food choices you make within your resources give credibility to the producers and suppliers of said food. I'd probably add "Food is Medicine" based on my own personal experiences recently, but this list pretty much saves me from having to think of my own. That and Michael Pollan's " Eat Food, Not Too Much, Mostly Plants " make up my elevator speech on the topic.